September 25, 2007

A new adventure begins

Greetings all.It's time once agagin for me to dust off the old MTB and hitch up the trailer for another adventure on the road.This time however there are a couple of differences to the last time I was out there doing what I do.The first difference is that I am really pressed for time.I have one month to ride from Penticton B.C to Leredo Texas in time to be picked up and taken to Monterrey in Mexico to compete in the Deca-Ironman World Challenge.The race begins on November 5th and is a ten Ironman stage race with an Iron distance race each day for ten days.The lowest accumulated time over the ten days wins.Sounds simple enough-yeah right!!
The distance I have to ride is about 4000k(2500miles) and I will be passing through the border just south of Penticton B.C and heading through Boise,Salt Lake City,Albuquerque,Austin and then Laredo.That works out to about 125k(78miles)a day for 32 days plus doing my run and swim training as well.All things being equal that shouldn't be a problem if riding was all I was doing.The other thing not as yet mentioned is that I also have to dedicate time toward the newest challenge in my life.My year as a charity fundraiser.
During the 2007 running of Ultraman Canada we were all introduced to a small charitable group called "Althetes in Kind".This group, based in Pitt Meadows just outside of Vancouver,raises money for the families of those who are affected by the huge financial burden of a family member fighting cancer.I was very impressed with "Team Athletes in Kind" and the charitys' founder Lorie Muller.After reading through the Athletes in Kind website I figured it was time that I actually got off my lazy butt and tried to do something worthwhile for a change.To that end I have promised Lorie that I would dedicate the next year to raising money for,and the profile of, Athletes in Kind.The road to the Deca-Iron and the event itself is the first stage of a whole year of trans-continental cycling and Ultra-triathlon competition ending with Ultraman Canada in 2008.
So sit back,relax and follow along as I head out for anothers of Nick's Ultra adventures.Keep your fingers crossed and you credit cards handy 'cause here we go again!

1 comment:

Lorie Muller said...

hey Nick, I like your funky blog. The videos and music is a nice touch. I have sent some goodies to the Albuquerque address, so hopefully it's there when you arrive safe and sound.
All the best to you from Pitt Meadows.
Lorie Muller


DAY ONE-HALIFAX