October 7, 2007

Day One:Into the wind.

After getting all my banking stuff sorted out it was 11am and time for me to head out.I rode off from Peach City Runners in downtown Penticton and casually rolled along Lakeshore drive for a last look at Okanagan lake before heading down the river channel bike path south to the other end of town.I wasn't looking forward to the ride to the U.S border as I had ridden that road so many times in training over the last fourteen years of Ironman summers that I hated it.The wind that had blown in from the south didn't do anything for my enthusiasm either.
Turning down Skaha Lake the wind increased and I was passed by another cyclist out on a training ride.I thought "Oh lord it's going to be a long day" and braced myself against the cold wind.I began to question my fitness as I really struggled down the lake but after a few harsh words to myself and a mental re-adjustment from triathlete to adventure cyclist I settled into a nice slow rhythm and steadily made my way south,even passing that other cyclist in the process.I passed another couple of cyclists along the way and my mood improved somewhat and gave me a bit more faith in my fitness.The snow on the surrounding mountains,however made me realise that I should have left about ten days earlier.Who knows what sort of frigid weather I wouldbe in for once I hit the Rockies to the south.I hate cold weather!!!
Normally this section would take me just under two hours when out training but today it was three hours twenty minutes before I hit the Husky station which marks the turn up toward Richter pass on the Ironman Canada course.Very slow indeed.I guess riding my fendered mountain bike dragging my fully laden trailer was going to be a test of patience as long as the wind blew like that.
I pit stopped in the Husky and tried to spend the last of my Canadian dollars on extra treats to eat along the way.Next,it was a quick trip into Osoyoos to buy a small pot and cup to cook with.I would only cook at night and as it was only me I didn't need a big one.I also got a small notebook(for my journal),a pen,some batteries and two lighters which are essential if I wanted to light my little gas camp stove.With all that sorted it was off to the border and into the States.
The border crossing at Osoyoos was busy and I lined up behind the cars breathing in exhaust while awaiting my fate.Once at the front of the line my passport was scanned and I was ordered into the offices to ask for my ninety day visa.The immiragation guys were pretty nice about it all but really couldn't believe I was about to make the trip to the Mexican border.Upon learning that I have a brother who is a permanent US resident they seemed happy and than checked out my two Australian credit cards which, by the way, are totally useless as they were maxed out a very long time ago.I only got them for my Sth America trip and I still owe a lot of money on them.The immigration guys were not to know that and after paying my $6US visa charge they sent me on my way with a grand total of $9US in my pocket.Sometimes I even surprise myself at the stupidity of the situations I get myself into but then it wouldn't be an adventure if everything was organised and easy now would it?
Once through the border it was head down and into the ever increasing wind which was blowing straight up Hwy 97 from the south.Looking down at my gears I prayed that I wouldn't actually have to shift to my small chainring for the rest of the day.The trees bending over double along the side of the road made me think I might just have to.All I hoped was that the threat of rain was just that and I would manage to stay dry for the day.Thankfully I did.
My plan for the trip was to get up before sunrise and go for a easy 45-60min run.That would be followed by a quick breakfast of cold porridge mixed with IronFuel.I would then break camp and ride from about 8am until 5pm/ish with breaks when I would start to look for a suitable campsite for the night.Every other day I would throw in a second shorter but more intense run of intervals or hill reps.Every day I would do my swim training by using my swim bands that I had carried for years.Swimming isn't something I worry about and I knew I would be fine with just the dry land version with the occaisional trip to a pool along the way.
After about 90 mins of riding south of the border I decided that I had done enough riding into the wind.Day one was all about just getting into the States and I had managed it happily.It was time to find a camp and take stock of my situation.I happened upon a small hamlet called Ellisforde which is about 19miles past the border.I turned off the highway toward Loomis and within a couple of minutes happend upon a dirt road which headed off into wooded area next to a bridge spanning the Okanogan River(different spelling in the States).I followed it to it's end and found myself in the perfect little hidden campsite right by the river.Awesome!
I quickly unpacked my trailer and set up my little tent and ten set about covering the tent with my extra tarp.I had found,during a ride through the Canadian Rockies in July,that it was a smart idea to cover my tent with an extra layer as keeping dry was a huge priority.The storms I had survived dry while stuck on Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse Pass on consecutive nights last summer proved my theory correct.I always carry a spare tarp strapped to the outside of my trailer when I travel now.It makes for a great,instant shelter.
After setting up camp I spent some time on the riverbank cooking my pasta dinner while watching the sun set behind a small mountain in the distance on the other side of the river.It was a very peacefull place and I was excited to be on the road again living the life of a traveller.If I am to be alone in this world I want it to be living life and then sharing it with the world through my journals.Starting my journal was the last thing I did that night as I lay snug and warm inside my sleeping bag.I reflected on the day and wondered what fate would have in store for me over the coming weeks.I also thought about why I was out here in the first place.I really wanted to go to the Deca(have done for years) and was honoured to be able to do it in the name of a great charity.I just wondered if people would understand if I told of the real reason I am pushing myself like this.I doubted it, but one day I will write it down and maybe it will help others who are going through the same thing.For now,with about 59 miles behind me that day,I thought I'd just deal with the task at hand.So with the my watch chirping a seven o'clock reminder,I turned off my headlamp and closed my eyes on day one of my lastest adventure.

No comments:


DAY ONE-HALIFAX