July 16, 2008

DAY THREE-105k



After a really good nights sleep I headed off nice and early into another fog-filled morning this time however I did have a little bit of a tailwind,not that it helped much as the roads were under contruction all over the place and my speed was kept to a minimum.I shouldn't complain though as any wind that isn't in my face is a welcome one,what wasn't welcome was the huge climb that I had to face after about 15k of riding.This climb was surreal!I was in my smallest gear just crawling up a hill about 5k in length, into a thick fog all the time trying to dodge all the construction debris littering the road.Once over the climb and onto the plateau the riding became a lot easier and I ticked off the k's happilly all morning. I didn't end up stopping in Moncton for my planned swim and shower as yet again I found that the towns,or should I say cities,are so far off the highway that it just isn't worth it to log all those extra miles riding in and out off the highway.I'll ave to go into the double iron without any swim training and just take it slowly.

The afternoon brought the wind again and at my lunch stop which was at the huge Irving truck stop, the wind started to just howl and of course,in the wrong direction!!!It was a nice place to hang out for a few hours though as I got to chat to heaps of interesting people who came over to check out my bike.I met all kinds of folks including a guy from the Okanagan Valley just north of Penticton who was delivering speed boats to Nova Scotia and a lady triathlete who stopped and gave me some sunscreen for my sun ravaged face.She had been driving by and figured I was in need of some help.When I told her I was on my way to do a double ironman she just thought I was nuts and drove off shaking her head.My biggest thrill was finding a one kilo banana loaf for sale for only $2.Man did I just live on that thing for a day or so-just awesome!!

I tried to wait out the wind but to no avail, it just wouldn't quit so I made the decision that today was going to be a short'ish day and I would head off down the road for another hour of so and find somewhere to camp for the night.

It wasn't long before my legs decided the pit-stop for me as one one very long and slow climb they just started to ache.I looked for a good spot to camp and found one on the other side of the split dual-carriage highway.It was a nice,sheltered,grassy area which,once the sun went down would be hard to see from a speeding car.I decided to stop and settle in for the night.The bugs loved having me visit but at least there were no mozzies.Something to be gratefull for I guess.I had ridden about 105k for the day and was just beat.Hope fully tomorrow would bring some better results.