July 24, 2008

Quebec City-part three


So it was up early again and feeling great after a long sleep.I headed downstairs for breakfast and realised that my stomach was much better and even though I felt a little weak it was all good and I settled in for another long breakfast shift.
I caught up with Ontario Mike and he was pretty sad about my tales of woe as he had been really interested in the whole ultra-triathlon thing.As we sat chatting a few of the other hostellers came up and asked me how it all went.It's great to be around people who are so interested in peoples lives.That's what I like about hanging in hostels,you very rarely meet negative people and generally everyone is upbeat and positive about life.I was sharing a room with four Canadian girls who had been in town for ten days on a conference and they were so into the thought of crossing their country by bike and asked me all kinds of questions about the trip.One of them bike races for a team in Ottawa and she was all over my bike like a groupie,it was pretty funny.
I also was given by another lady,the remaining weeks worth of passes to the 400th anniversary celebrations.That was huge and even when I told her I would only be in town for a day of so she just told be to pass it forward and that's just what I did,to another cyclist who had just arrived in town after cycling from Whitehorse in the far northwest of Canada.He was from Ontario and after two months on the road was only a couple of weeks ride from finishing his cross Canada trek in Halifax.It was great to meet another adventure-cyclist and chat for a while as he inspired me a to get back out there and it confirmed what I had told Mike the week before.Lot's of people get out there and ride cross country,it's hard yes but you don't have to be a super athlete to do it,you just need a little bit of courage to start and a lot of patience to keep going.
I did stay an extra day in Quebec City though as I wanted to make sure that I was all better and also because I was really having a great time.This week I noticed the streets were a lot quieter than the previous one and it seemed that the crowds were thinning quite a bit.That was great for me as I was a bit over having to battle so many people on the street all day.It made being a tourist a little easier.I did have to make the decision to head off though and after a long breakfast chatting to Mike and my new cyclist comrade I did eventually load up the bike,hitch the trailer and ride my rig down through the narrow streets back down to the ferry for the trip across to Levis where I wold start what I'd hoped would be a two day, 270k ride to Montreal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that doesn't happen everyday. wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Probably I can say with this blog make, more some interesting topics.


DAY ONE-HALIFAX